Friday, June 6, 2008

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas

It's true I am in Las Vegas right now, but it has nothing to do with the Air Force!! More to do with wild oats and sowing, if you know what I mean. No you don't? Uhhhhhmmm. Well. This is awkward, and it's my very first post, too. Sorry Rachel for ruining our precious blog, I'll stick with the story.

So they flew me into Vegas a week and half ago and you can bet that starting from the plane ride I've been milking all the utters I can(military, Holiday Inn express, Cousins, coworkers). Okay not quite that much, but I do enjoy living in a hotel.

I went from having no tv to my very own--with HBO. It can be very tempting. When I first arrive I gunhoingly say to myself, "I will not turn on the tv once!" Ten minutes later in the quiet solitude of my room the tv beakons me and I give in, just to realize that there is nothing on that I really want to watch. So what I do? I flip through all the channels for a couple of hours, choosing the most interesting. Everybody Loves Raymond, Sports Center, Glenn Beck Porgram, seem to occupy a lot of the time. That's when I make a new resolution (no tv? what was I thinking?). Now I'll watch tv while Im doing something else. So I iron all my uniforms to perfection and run on the treadmill until I get so sick of tv that I resolve never to watch it again.

Even better though is I can leave the room (and my pee-stained sheets) every morning and come back to fresh clean sheets on both beds, orange scented bathroom with replenished shampoo, soap, lotion, makeup remover wipes(not because I use them but because theyre stuffed in my suitcase and those suckers think I need more. Hahahaha. That's the best part). And then I realize that each little shampoo bottle has about an ounce in it and I realize how cheap and pathetic I am. And for a time, I sulk.

But just as quickly, my energy is renewed at the sight of the Holiday Inn Express Breakfast. Omelets, sausage, biscuits and gravy, fruit, yogurt, english muffins, brueggers bagels, and cinnamon rolls line the walls. I stuff myself happily because I deserve it (ask them). And then I take some for dinner that night and store it in my mini refrigerator. Once again, they never even see it coming. Then, when the maids are busy, I sneak a load of my dirty laundry in with the hotel linens. That gets dangerous though.

Okay enough of my mooching habits. I'm also sculpting my body everyday in the gym while occasionly jumping on the cool rock climbing machine that nobody ever uses. When were not surveying, getting medical check-ups, lectured by my supervisor for the brake-light incident(as if it was some planned infamous act of mine), I'm usually studying for my test this monday which will allow me to move up in my job skill level.

At first I feel like Im really living it up here in Vegas(without even seeing real Vegas). Then I realize how empty I would feel if that's all I had to look forward to was my lonely room each night. It makes me so much more grateful for my sweet, wonderful wife Rachel. With her I get to live the abundant life, even more so than with free hotel cookies @ 5pm or USA today at my door every morning, or anything thing else Holiday Inn Express or Las Vegas has to offer. I'm enjoying my time here and taking advantage of it all, but look forward to seeing My girl's smiling face back home. And it won't be long. Got to go the cookies are ready!!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Talmage,

    I'm glad to hear that you're doing well and happily married! You're funny way with describing ordinary situations and your mannerisms make me laugh! I'm glad I took the time to read your blog today. Good luck in Vegas. Congrats on the upcoming child in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Youse are sowing zee vild oats very well in many cities it sounds like,
    Zohan

    ReplyDelete
  3. talmage - tears are streaming, from laughter or crying, I'll let you guess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holiday Inn has Bruegger's Bagels?

    ReplyDelete
  5. wipe a booger on the bathroom mirror and see if the maids clean it off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, so now I know that Rob is definitly a Gibson because he agreed with Lincoln. I think it is settled right, Wipe a boogie on the mirror??
    Enjoy the hotel cus you know your wife is not your maid. LOL :> At least that is what I told Rob cus he leaves for Kansas in the morning.

    ReplyDelete