Monday, January 11, 2010

The $1 Chicken Sandwich Experiment








Written By Talmage Hansen

This past Winter Break we went on a vacation to Utah. I don't think I'll go as far as Jared Scott and covenant to never drive to Utah again, but I will definitely avoid it--especially with a small car like our Volkswagen Beetle and 2 babies. So, in order to spice things up (no pun intended), I decided to do a taste test/experiment on the drive up.

Goal: Determine which of all the fast food dollar menu chicken sandwiches was the best.

In order to do this I tried to control the experiment as much as possible by making sure that each scenario was the same.

Controlled Variables:
  1. I would be in the passenger seat and take notes on the sandwich as I ate.
  2. The chicken sandwich was always a snack food, not a meal, so the level of hunger was the same going in.
  3. All cost 99 cents or $1.
  4. I would eat the sandwich "as is" and no add any condiments to it.
Uncontrolled Variables:
  1. Varieties of chicken sandwiches (i.e. spicy or not)
  2. Unexpected sickness which seemed to increase with each chicken sandwich
Results: Following are the results from this test on a scale of 1-10.

  1. Carl's Jr. 6.0 Overall it was the best. Good bun, awesome lettuce, zesty mayo sauce, bigger, and good flavored and textured chicken. Their new commercial should say "Chicken sandwich. Fries. and a Coke. Get the _____ away from me. I'm eating!!!"
  2. Wendy's 5.5 The chicken was very real tasting and looking (irregular shape) which is the reason this got 2nd. The bun wasn't special and the lettuce was poor (1 big floppy piece).
  3. McDonald's 5.0 The chicken had an all-around good texture. The flavor was good too but a little unnecessarily spicy, the kind that detracts from the flavor. The mayo was okay. It gained some points on the chopped, crispy lettuce and a bun slightly toasted on the inside.
  4. Jack-in-the-Box 4.5 Had a bun toasted on the inside as well, but also had 1 big slightly limp lettuce. Mayo-okay. Okay texture. There wasn't as much flavor in the chicken which actually wasn't a bad thing, it gave it a more natural taste.
  5. BurgerKing 4.0 Had the best lettuce, it was a compromise between the 1 big piece and the many chopped up little pieces, like homemade lettuce. Unfortunately, I did not order lettuce, I ordered a chicken sandwich. The bun was toasted on the inside, but it was big and engulfed the chicken (not the bad actually). the reason it lost was the chicken which had the worst texture and flavor of all the sandwiches.
*I also did try a KFC sandwich but eliminated it from the results because it wasn't the same style as the others. It was smaller and different shaped. But as far as taste went it was the best.

Although, I did start to dread having to eat another chicken sandwich each time we pulled up to a restaurant, I don't think that it skewed the results. I am known to eat until I am full and then continue until I am sick. So I can differentiate between feeling nauseous because I am full and because of bad food. And don't think either that just because BK got last I won't be returning there. In fact, I probably eat KFC and Carl's Jr. the least because they are not convenient.

So there it is folks. A solid chicken sandwich evaluation to kick off 2010. I've heard (and read) a variety of opinions about differentfast food and there is no consensus. Too often people associate a bad experience or many other factors into it. But not here. "Unprejudiced. Unbiased. Fair." (Two-Face)

7 comments:

  1. I got the last bit of eat sandwich and I would say hands down that BK had the worst buns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this still cracks me up! i think thats just hilarious, you know next time you need to join those secret shoppers and then youd get reimbursed all your expenses...

    and they might kick in a bottle of pepto to soothe the after math.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like when you said, 'but I wasn't ordering lettuce'. like you'd drive up and say, "I'd like some lettuce to go please."

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has to be a Talmage post - but I didn't see where it said that anywhere... I LOVE the KFC tender chicken sandwich the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy the McDonalds spicy chicken sandwich. I don't get it much but when I forget to pack a lunch or am working overtime I swing by McDonalds and pick up two $1 chicken sandwich and it really hits the spot. Its quite spicy and I like the sweetness of the mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. and you like the boogity they put in cuz you're a cop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just can hardly believe what you have put into that tabernacle of yours. But I guess you were trying to entertain yourself and for that reason alone I understand. The nausea should have told you something.

    ReplyDelete