Saturday, January 26, 2013

Move to Texas

I was slated to graduate from Virginia Tech in May 2013. Then I started getting job offers. To the surprise of many, including ourselves, about mid-December we decide that we were moving to Dallas, TX at the end of the month. I would drive our possessions and tow our car in a U-Haul with Heber and Hannah. Rachel would fly in a couple of days later with Olive on her lap.



 


We left in the late afternoon on January 2nd and arrived the next day in the evening. I got about about an hour and a half sleep at a truck stop. The kids seemed to sleep all night and all day. It was a tough trip. I'm just glad we made it alive. Old ward friends helped us move out and our new ward friends helped us move in.

Plane Ticket for Rachel and Olive: $105 + thousands of our US Airways Dividend Miles
Gas: $462.21
U-Haul: $1,315.60
Texas Vehicle Inspection Fee: $47.23
Place forward on mail from old home: $1.00
Toll fees to date: $6.99 and counting
Texas Plates and Registration: $125.50
Loving your new home and job: Priceless
(I made that up, btw, nbd, ttyl)

4 comments:

  1. Gosh, that sounds like a brutal trip. Glad you made it there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you weren't counting the $2 that I gave you for the toll fee to the airport.

    At least you can get back 25% of those fees when you deduct the moving expenses next year. That is, if you are in that tax bracket...

    ReplyDelete
  3. that would stink driving that big truck and pulling your car at the same time. I bet every time you leaned over to beat your kids you were swerving all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love having a sister who knows the ins and outs of taxes.

    So true Spencer. So true.

    ReplyDelete