Sunday, January 15, 2012

Thoughts on Motherhood



I have read and thought a lot about motherhood. Makes sense, since it is my chosen career. I  have been reading to see how I can be a better mom and if I am going in the right direction.




A mother is a nurturer. However, that seems to encompass so much.  How do I know if I am nurturing? How do I know what are the most critical aspects of nurturing?

Then I found an old pamphlet called To the Mother's in Zion. I found a section at the end of the pamphlet called "Ten Ways to Spend Time with Children". The pamphlet expounds more on each of them but here they are just listed:
1. Be at the crossroads
2. Be a real friend
3. Read to your children
4. Pray with your children
5. Have weekly family home evening
6. Be together at mealtimes
7. Read scriptures daily as a family
8. Do things as a family
9. Teach your children (moral principles, how to work, etc.)
10. Truly love your children

It seems like simple stuff but I just love having the list. It's nice knowing what I can work on and what I already am doing. Now as I am doing the things on that list, I feel a reassurance of how important each of these things are and that makes me enjoy them even more.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Thanks for the inspiration Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah really reminds me of little Dana in the way she sucks her fingers and won't look at the camera and the rat's nest.

    ReplyDelete