Monday, May 28, 2012

Botox for TMD, Part I

My sister-in-law, Lindsay, wanted to know more details about how I got Botox. But first a background post to fill all you other readers in.

The Nature of The Beast
I have TMD (commonly but incorrectly referred to as TMJ). My jaw is so tight that it causes me to get headaches and tight shoulders. About 98% of the time I have a dull all encompassing headache. On top of that I get sharper, intense headaches generally on a daily basis. They vary in degree of intensity, the most painful are the migraines that are sensitive to light, moving and noise. I have had this problem for more than ten years.

How I Found Out What It Was
My general doctors (I had two) could not determine what it was. My first doctor looked into diabetes and other blood related problems. My second doctor just wanted to give me pills to mask the symptoms. They both had my eyes checked. The second time I got them checked they said that I needed glasses. I thought it was a brain tumor for awhile. My mom thought maybe it was hormone related. Then last summer I found out on my own that it was really TMD (temporal mandibular joint disorder), a tightness of the jaw muscles. It was a huge relief just to know what it was!

Rules I Live By
I have a few rules that I live by. Minimal processed sugars, I weigh the sugar against the size of headache that I'll have later from it. No gum or hard chewing. LOTS of water. Stretching. Good nights rest. Decrease stress. Stay calm and relaxed in general. Neck and back massages (my favorite). Good posture.

Treatments for TMD
  • Jaw surgery is costly and takes a LONG time to heal from. My bones did not need reconstruction, so surgery was not necessarily. (Sigh of relief)
  • I ended up getting Botox shots in my jaw a month ago while we were in DC. I was VERY hesitant to do this because isn't Botox for vain, crazy, rich, or famous people? I didn't feel I fit that stereotype. Botox weakens the jaw muscles causing them to be less tight. After doing a LOT of research it seemed to be a great option for me. (I'll write more details in my next post.)
  • I also got a better night guard, special for teeth grinders. I wear it at night and around the house during the day. It helps especially at night when I am grinding my teeth, which makes my jaw tight. Night guards help retrain the jaw muscles to stay open and not clamped together
  • I also have tried several alternative medicine type methods such as EFT, cleanses, self-hypnosis, Chinese medicine techniques, chiropractic, miotechnic massage, specialty yoga, healthier eating, physical therapy, meditation, etc. I am still trying to work several of these into my daily life.
Living With It Now
I still have a dull constant headache all day long. My intense headaches have been more manageable though. My jaw muscles are definitely not as tight or strong because of the Botox. And my jaw placement has improved because of the better night guard.

I often wonder what it would be like to be a "normal" person, a person without a constant headache. My headaches definitely cause me to be more introverted. They take a lot out of me. I feel like I am in "survival mode" the majority of the time. I go about 5 months then I have a break down where I just go crazy from having to hold this burden for so long. But despite all the weight of carrying this around and rarely getting complete relief, I generally feel positive about it. I feel like I have more compassion for others because I often wonder what unseen burden they carry, just like myself. I honestly believe that my headaches have been and are a school master for patience, wisdom and compassion.

4 comments:

  1. Rachelle I have TMJ also,have for 20+ years. A good dentist is the best person to go to for this problem. He fitted me with a mouth guard and I have been okay, sometimes I have to wear it during the day also. Yours sounds worse than mine though. Hope you can get it under control, sometimes the grinding and clamping down can lossen your teeth. Good luck, Grandma Laverne

    ReplyDelete
  2. All you need is your testimony at the end and it'd be perfect for the next Ensign! I'm sad though, that you go through this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get a headache about twice a year and often wonder how you and others, who ALWAYS have them, "survive"! I am glad you have lessened the pain at least. Hopefully your search for the root cause will end soon so you can have rest from it and spread the knowledge to help others.

    It's so complicated, though, the body. One imbalance can cause another which can't be cured until another one is treated first. And in this toxic world today, it's becoming harder to listen to your body and heal intuitively because of all the toxic noise/build up (environmental, food, emotion...). But I think you are definitely on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a link to one of the doctors that I was talking to you about (treats the root cause by balancing each of the body's systems):

    http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/04/28/7-keys-to-ultrawellness/

    More specifically, here is an article of his on migraines:

    http://drhyman.com/blog/conditions/how-to-end-migraines/

    It still requires a lot of individual research and trial and error, but it gives some direction.

    ReplyDelete