Sunday, June 3, 2012

Botox for TMD, Part II



The office for my Botox was near DC. The office was the fanciest doctors office I have ever been in. Very designer, very lux. All the other patients seemed very snobby (to put it nice). As I was filling out paper work and waiting, one of the patients told the secretary, "My appointment was for 20 minutes ago and last time I had to wait 15 minutes. Is this how your office works? Late appointment?" The secretaries dealt with her graciously although she seemed rude to them.

I was also surprised to see two teenage girls there who seemed to hint that they weren't there for medical reasons like jaw surgery but more cosmetic reasons.

I really liked the doctor and nurse there. They were very skilled and familiar with my TMD (this was his area of expertise) and they were very friendly and kind. They seemed to really like me too. We went over a long detailed history of my jaw. The doctor examined it and told me that it was muscular related and not because my bones where out of place. He also discussed a lot of information with me on TMD. He told me to throw away my old night guard because the type I had was acting like a chew toy which was making the problem worse. He discussed how Botox would speed along the healing processes. Instead of making an extra appointment to perform the Botox he did it during my consultation visit.  I was kind of scared of the long skinny needles but they just talked to me during it and I was able to get through it ok. I had to flex and release my jaw as they injected the Botox. After it was done it just felt like popped pimples. But I felt a little strange for a day or two afterwards. I also noticed within hours that my jaw was already loosening.
PS Thank you Lindsay for that link.

No comments:

Post a Comment